Client Category – Data Quality Management
An Australian Brand Marketing Manager was initially looking to assess email providers, and was questioning the value of two existing suppliers to their organisation.
Once they discussed the issue with TrinityP3, the real challenge identified and agreed, was how to assess the value of all available data sources to ensure that the organisation was set up for a customer-centric marketing approach prior to assessing external vendors.
The Marketer engaged TrinityP3 to assess:
- the level, mix and capabilities of current resources across branded communications, digital experience and website, customer care, insights, analytics, research, technical delivery and retail shops
- the current processes and the management of those processes including databases, data transfers / integrations and technology
- the efficacy of the current performance measurement and reporting systems in place.
TrinityP3 unearthed through a series of one-on-one stakeholder interviews that the current approach to data-driven marketing was not utilising all relevant customer data sources so data quality management was not up to standard.
This meant that the direct to customer communications strategy needed refocussing around key data that would deliver incremental business value.
It also meant that a new program ownership structure with assigned KPIs was required within the organisation to allow for effective delivery of the marketing activity.
To provide this independent data quality assessment and benchmarking, TrinityP3 implemented a 4-stage approach:
- Define the scope of the project and agree the desired outputs with the Marketer
- Undertake the assessment. This included:
- reviewing over 47 documents covering strategy, current data use, churn and other predictive models, dashboards and reports, lifecycle and trigger activity, as well as data flows and the technical architecture
- reviewing current resource allocations, capabilities and KPIs
- interviewing 13 key stakeholders
- assessing management reporting and processes
- Benchmark against industry best practice: local and global
- Provide a top-line assessment. This was a written report and a verbal de-briefing from the TrinityP3 consultants.
The data assessment and benchmarking was completed within 3 weeks, allowing the Marketer to act quickly and implement the findings.
The Marketer also engaged TrinityP3 for an additional 3-month period to help facilitate the internal and external re-alignment.
Result and feedback:
The assessment unearthed some major challenges. In particular around the lack of ownership and inefficient divisional hand-overs that were occurring which meant the marketing activity was sub-optimal. As well as the need for a new approach to the data that would drive their business forward rather than purely allow predictive activity based on past customer behaviour.
The marketer moved quickly to refocus these areas:
- Establish a new divisional ownership structure including subject matter expertise
- Establish a new data-driven measurement model underpinned by agreed value, engagement and loyalty data
- Develop a new data-driven marketing strategy to deliver more effective activity and incremental business value
- Reduce overall campaign activity and resource inefficiencies
- Establish a new vendor arrangement for email and mobile marketing (including scope of work and remuneration)
- Migrate email activity to one vendor only
- Improve go-to-market processes and reduce campaign implementation timelines
Click here for more information about our Marketing Planning Process Review.