Client Category – Tertiary Education
The client’s marketing function was decentralised and operating across six different faculties and entities. Strategic governance was either inconsistent or entirely absent, budgets were fragmented and independently managed, there was no common campaign development process, and multiple campaigns and initiatives were being created across the organisation with no control or idea of ROI. The marketing effort involved more than 90 marketing FTEs working with an agency roster of 75 on an overall spend of less than $10 million annually.
Over the course of the engagement, TrinityP3:
- Identified the main marketing requirements of the organisation, matched these to the existing skill sets across the marketing teams and recommended key structural changes
- Created, developed and helped to implement a centralised marketing structure with overall budget control
- Designed and implemented a uniform campaign development process, including an Engagement Agreement across all marketers and key agency partners
- Benchmarked the FTE levels required to manage the marketing activities effectively, and worked with HR to implement changes
- Developed and implemented an output-based cost model for all campaign elements and collateral deliverables
- Managed the reduction of the agency roster from 75 to 20, designed and introduced a clear working model for the new roster, and ensured that all agencies understood their roles, areas of expertise and responsibilities
The work is ongoing, and is on course for completion over a total period of six months.
Results and feedback:
The marketing function is now moving from decentralised inefficiency and waste to a highly efficient, partially centralised model that far better matches the specific marketing requirements of the organisation.
The rationalised agency roster (already in place) allows for a realistic concentration of marketing spend and strategic responsibility among far fewer agency partnerships.
Substantial cost savings – upwards of 25% of annual A&P – are being achieved through implementing an effective and efficient marketing structure, marketing process improvements, an output-based cost model for all key deliverables and ensuring more appropriate agency engagement within a right-sized roster model.
To find our how TrinityP3 Marketing Management Consultants can help you further with this, click here.